|DAY 1: Arrive Kigali
- Upon arrival at Kigali International Airport, you will be met by your representative, outside the airport arrivals section and transferred to Hotel.
|DAY 2: Kigali, Volcanoes National Park, Optional Tour
- Today after breakfast at the hotel, Enjoy a City Tour of Kigali. (Cost of city tour included) The history of Rwanda dates back centuries, Kigali has been a part of it for 100 years. Founded in 1907 as a German settlement, Kigali did not become the capital until Rwanda&rsquos independence in 1962 when it replaced the colonial seat of power in Butare.
- Visit the Kandt museum, see old Kigali and the craft centres then visit the genocide memorial site. Learn about Rwanda&rsquos history from pre-colonial times to the 1994 genocide learn about other genocides in the world and how this country has dealt with that past. Tour more and see the new developments in Rwanda the recovery has been incredible, a testament to humankind&rsquos resilience.
- Later, depart Kigali and drive to Ruhengeri. Approximately 2.5 hrs arriving in time for lunch at the Volcanoes National Park HQs. Evenings you may choose our OPTIONAL tour (Intore Cultural Dancers troupe) will spice your stay with memorable Rwandan dances. (at an extra cost of USD 40.00 per person). (B, L, D)
|DAY 3: Volcanoes National Park
- Today after early breakfast.0620 hrs: Transfer to the Volcanoes National Park HQs for your first day of trekking. 0700 hrs: Briefing by your trackers then drive to the trail head for the start of your amazing Gorilla Tracking adventure. Porters may be hired for the trek to carry your backpack and gear. The cost is ten USD per person/per day. We advise that you utilize this service. Your trek again starts in the cultivated foothills of the Virunga&rsquos offering stirring views in all directions. When it enters the national park, trekkers will be immersed in the mysterious intimacy of the rainforest, alive with the colorful bird calls, chattering golden monkeys, littered with fresh spoor of the mountains&rsquo elusive buffalo and elephant. Through gaps in the canopy, the magnificent peaks are glimpsed, among the highest in Africa yet easily accessible, beckon an ascent. Weaving through overhanging vines, moss-covered hagenia trees and giant lobelias that thrive in the tropical climate, our experienced trackers, who have spent their entire lives in or close to this forest, soon bring us up close with one of the Gorilla Families.
- Upon sighting the gorillas, you will stay with them for a magical hour as they go about their daily life, feeding, playing, resting raising their young. Coming face to face with a giant silverback must truly be one of the greatest wildlife experiences on earth. After the trek, rejoin your driver Guide for a transfer to your lodge/hotel for lunch. Afternoon at leisure to enjoy optional activities offered at an extra cost Optional visit to Iby&rsquoiwacu village at an extra cost of USD 30.00 per person. Dinner at the lodge/hotel. (B, L, D)
|DAY 4: Volcanoes National Park, Kigali, Departure
- Today after Breakfast at the hotel/lodge. 0700 hrs: Registration is a simple process where the park staff determines which group of gorillas you will visit. The park staff discusses your fitness level and advises you of the trekking times and conditions to the various groups based upon their location in the park the previous evening. There are a total of 88 gorilla permits available each day with a maximum of eight trekkers visiting any one group.
- Once the trekkers are put into groups, each group&rsquos Lead Guide briefs the trekkers of the trekking procedures as well as the &ldquodo&rsquos and don&rsquots&rdquo while in the presence of gorillas. After the briefing, trekkers return to their respective vehicles for the drive up the mountain to the starting point. Trekking can take from two to six or more hours if the gorillas move before the park rangers locate them the next morning. The guides stop frequently to allow trekkers a chance to rest and take photos along the way. After the trek, rejoin your driver Guide for a transfer to your lodge/hotel for lunch.
- After lunch, depart from foothills of the volcanoes and drive south past coffee, tea and banana plantations on a scenic drive to Kigali. Everything and everywhere, sheer green and hanging on the hills Rwanda truly - land of a thousand fertile green hills. (2.5 hrs), Transfer to the airport for your departure flight. (Cost of flight not included). (B)